It occurs to me that just as there is value in micro-formats (structured data embedded in HTML using existing HTML syntax and well-known conventions), there is also value in micro-models: models embedded in code (e.g., Java) using existing Java syntax (e.g., annotations).
The key advantages are model and code are in a single place and are therefore maintained simultaneously (avoiding RTE problems keeping code and model synchronised), a single familiar syntax, and works with existing coding tools.
Of course, for large/complex models this is likely to start to break down.
An existing (although somewhat trivial) example of this can be seen in the @model etc javadoc annotations used by EMF.
A while back I lost wireless access in the home. In a happy accident I was wandering through Harvey Norman at Indooroopilly today when I noticed they were selling Linksys WAG54GP2s for $93.01 – that’s ADSL2+, 802.11G, and VOIP in the one (discontinued) box at a very sweet price (hurry – they only have two left).
For the past 6 weeks or so I’ve been trying to track down an elusive bug in my SNOMED classifier. The difficulty has been that it only manifest with very large input sets (I only managed to reduce it down to about 350,000 concept definitions). This meant lots of large data-structures and long chains of inferences needed to be traced backwards; tedious and time-consuming work.
Today I found the problem. As I had begun to suspect, there was a simple error in an underlying data-structure.
The lesson? Write unit tests carefully! It turns out that although I had written a test for the faulty method, the particular data-set I used in the test special-cased around the bug. What I should have done was use multiple data-sets (pretty obvious) and made sure they were more realistic (in this case I had used a single contiguous set of bits). If I had done this originally, then I would have found the problem much much earlier.
[Update: Ironically, I originally used java.util.BitSet instead of my hand-rolled data-structure but was running into memory usage problems so I replaced a bunch of Maps and Sets with my own versions optimised for their particular usage in the algorithm. It turns out that for this particular case, the java.util version is entirely adequate. There's another lesson here :-)]